[Rd] Help to create bugzilla account

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Aug 12 23:36:36 CEST 2017

On 12 August 2017 at 15:10, luke-tierney at uiowa.edu wrote:
| As the Python posts poitns out, it is possible to use alternate malloc
| implementations, either rebuilding R to use them or using LD_PRELOAD.
| On Ubuntu for example, you can have R use jemalloc with
|
| sudo apt-get install libjemalloc1
| env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjemalloc.so.1 R
|
| This does not seem to hold onto memory to the same degree, but I don't
| know about any other aspect of its performance.

Interesting.

I don't really know anything about malloc versus jemalloc internals but I can
affirm that redis -- an in-memory database written in single-threaded C for
high performance -- in its Debian builds has been using jemalloc for years,
presumably by choice of the maintainer. (We are very happy users of [a gently
patched] redis at work; lots of writes; very good uptime.)

Having the ability to switch to jemalloc, we could design a test bench and
compare what the impact is.

Similarly, if someone cared, I could (presumably) alter the default R build
for Debian and Ubunto to also switch to jemalloc.

Anybody feel like doing some empirics?

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org