[Rd] [bug report] Cyrillic letter "я" interrupts script execution via R source function

Patrick Perry pperry at stern.nyu.edu
Mon Aug 28 14:24:31 CEST 2017

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that when you source a file,
it first gets translated to your native locale and then parsed. When you
parse a character vector, it does not get translated.

In your locale, every "я" character  (U+044F) gets replaced by the byte
"\xFF":

>  iconv("\u044f", "UTF-8", "Windows-1251")
[1] "\xff"

I suspect that particular value causes trouble for the R parser, which
uses a stack of previously-seen characters (include/Defn.h):

LibExtern char    R_ParseContext[PARSE_CONTEXT_SIZE] INI_as("");

And at various places checks whether the context character is EOF. That
character is defined as

#define R_EOF    -1

Which, when cast to a char, is 0xFF.

I suspect that your example is revealing two bugs:

1) The R parser seems to have trouble with native characters encoded as
0xFF. It's possible that, since R strings can't contain 0x00, this can
be fixed by changing the definition of R_EOF to

#define R_EOF     0

2) The other bug is that, as I understand the situation, "source" will
fail if the file contains a character that cannot be represented in your
native locale. This is a harder bug to tackle because of the way file()
and the other connection methods are designed, where they translate the
input to your native locale. I don't know if it's possible to override
this behavior, and have them translate input to UTF-8 instead.

Patrick

---

On Mon Aug 28 11:27:07 CEST 2017 Владимир Панфилов