[Rd] [bug report] Cyrillic letter "я" interrupts script execution via R source function

Patrick Perry pperry at stern.nyu.edu
Mon Aug 28 14:24:31 CEST 2017

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that when you source a file, 
it first gets translated to your native locale and then parsed. When you 
parse a character vector, it does not get translated.

In your locale, every "я" character  (U+044F) gets replaced by the byte 

>  iconv("\u044f", "UTF-8", "Windows-1251")
[1] "\xff"

I suspect that particular value causes trouble for the R parser, which 
uses a stack of previously-seen characters (include/Defn.h):

LibExtern char    R_ParseContext[PARSE_CONTEXT_SIZE] INI_as("");

And at various places checks whether the context character is EOF. That 
character is defined as

#define R_EOF    -1

Which, when cast to a char, is 0xFF.

I suspect that your example is revealing two bugs:

1) The R parser seems to have trouble with native characters encoded as 
0xFF. It's possible that, since R strings can't contain 0x00, this can 
be fixed by changing the definition of R_EOF to

#define R_EOF     0

2) The other bug is that, as I understand the situation, "source" will 
fail if the file contains a character that cannot be represented in your 
native locale. This is a harder bug to tackle because of the way file() 
and the other connection methods are designed, where they translate the 
input to your native locale. I don't know if it's possible to override 
this behavior, and have them translate input to UTF-8 instead.



On Mon Aug 28 11:27:07 CEST 2017 Владимир Панфилов 
<vladimirpanfilov at gmail.com> wrote:


I do not have an account on R Bugzilla, so I will post my bug report here.
I want to report a very old bug in base R *source()* function. It relates
to sourcing some R scripts in UTF-8 encoding on Windows machines. For some
reason if the UTF-8 script is containing cyrillic letter *"я"*, the script
execution is interrupted directly on this letter (btw the same scripts are
sourcing fine when they are encoded in the systems CP1251 encoding).

Let's consider the following script that prints random russian words:

/>/  *print("Осень")print("Ёжик")print("трясина")print("тест")*

When this script is sourced we get INCOMPLETE_STRING error:

/>/  *source('D:/R code/test_cyr_letter.R', encoding = 'UTF-8', echo=TRUE)Error
/>/  in source("D:/R code/test_cyr_letter.R", encoding = "UTF-8", echo = TRUE)
/>/  :   D:/R code/test_cyr_letter.R:3:7: unexpected INCOMPLETE_STRING2:
/>/  print("Ёжик")3: print("тр         ^*

Note that this bug is not triggered when the same file is executed using

/>/  *>  eval(parse('D:/R code/test_cyr_letter.R', encoding="UTF-8"))[1]
/>/  "Осень"[1] "Ёжик"[1] "трясина"[1] "тест"*

I made some reserach and noticed that *source* and *parse* functions have
similar parts of code for reading files. After analyzing code of *source()*
function I found out that commenting one line from it fixes this bug and
the overrided function works fine. See this part of *source()* function

*... *
/>/  *filename<- file*
/>/  *        file<- file(filename, "r")*
/>/  *        # on.exit(close(file))  #### COMMENT THIS LINE ####*
/>/  *        if (isTRUE(keep.source)) {*
/>/  *          lines<- scan(file, what="character", encoding = encoding, sep
/>>/  = "\n")*
/>/  *          on.exit()*
/>/  *          close(file)*
/>/  *          srcfile<- srcfilecopy(filename, lines,
/>>/  file.mtime(filename)[1], *
/>/  *                                 isFile = TRUE)*
/>/  *        } *
/>/  *...*
/I do not fully understand this weird behaviour, so I ask help of R Core
developers to fix this annoying bug that prevents using unicode scripts
with cyrillic on Windows.
Maybe you should make that part of *source()* function read files like
*parse()* function?

*Session and encoding info:*

>/  >  sessionInfo()
/>/  R version 3.4.1 (2017-06-30)
/>/  Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
/>/  Running under: Windows 7 x64 (build 7601) Service Pack 1
/>/  Matrix products: default
/>/  locale:
/>/  [1] LC_COLLATE=Russian_Russia.1251  LC_CTYPE=Russian_Russia.1251
/>/   LC_MONETARY=Russian_Russia.1251
/>/  [4] LC_NUMERIC=C                    LC_TIME=Russian_Russia.1251
/>/  attached base packages:
/>/  [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
/>/  loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
/>/  [1] compiler_3.4.1 tools_3.4.1

>/  >  l10n_info()
/>/  $MBCS
/>/  [1] FALSE
/>/  $`UTF-8`
/>/  [1] FALSE
/>/  $`Latin-1`
/>/  [1] FALSE
/>/  $codepage
/>/  [1] 1251/

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

More information about the R-devel mailing list