[Rd] Numerical stability in chisq.test

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 14:13:10 CET 2017

>> The chisq.test on line 57 contains following code:
>> 	STATISTIC <- sum(sort((x - E)^2/E, decreasing = TRUE))
>
> The preceding 2 lines seem relevant:
>
>            ## Sorting before summing may look strange, but seems to be
>            ## a sensible way to deal with rounding issues (PR#3486):
>            STATISTIC <- sum(sort((x - E) ^ 2 / E, decreasing = TRUE))
>
> -k

My thoughts too. PR 3486 is about simulated tables that theoretically have STATISTIC equal to the one observed, but come out slightly different, messing up the simulated p value. The sort is not actually intended to squeeze the very last bit of accuracy out of the computation, just to make sure that the round-off affects equivalent tables in the same way. "Fixing" the code may therefore unfix PR#3486; at the very least some care is required if this is modified.

-pd