[Rd] R CMD check error

Martyn Plummer plummerm at iarc.fr
Thu Feb 9 09:54:26 CET 2017

On Wed, 2017-02-08 at 15:51 -0600, Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. wrote:
> I have a local library which depends on the expm library.  The expm library is loaded into
> my personal space and I have the environment variable R_LIBS_USER set appropriately.  The
> command "library(expm)" works just fine from the command line, and in fact the package
> works if I do the source() and dyn.load() commands by hand.
>
> The following sequence works:
>
> tmt% R CMD build --no-build-vignettes hmm
> tmt% R CMD INSTALL hmm*gz
> tmt% R
>  > library(hmm)
>  >  run some commands from the hmm library
>
> But "R CMD check hmm.gz" fails with
>    ERROR: dependency ‘expm’ is not available for package ‘hmm’
> * removing
> ‘/people/biostat2/therneau/consult/alzheimer/hmm.Rcheck/hmm’
>
> The R CMD build command fails similarly if I let it try to build the
> vignettes.
>
> What's up?

If you are setting the environment variable R_LIBS_USER in
R_HOME/site/Renviron.site or in .Renviron then this file will not be
read when you run R CMD check or R CMD build, as R is then run with --
vanilla which implies --no-environ.

You also need to set it in these files:

~/.R/build.Renviron
~/.R/check.Renviron