[Rd] Grapics Device Resolution Limits

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 10 20:27:17 CET 2017

Note that there are at least 5 separate png() devices, so Linux was not
using the (default) device used on Windows.

In general, the device-limits info is not on the help page because we do
not know it.  On Windows the default device limits depend on the OS
version, 32/64-bit, RAM and the graphics hardware.  This sounds like the
last: you were asking for 49 megapixels which is far larger than the
largest screens.  (Or all but the highest-end digital cameras, so one
could well ask what you can usefully do with such an image.)

Normally you will get warning(s) accompanying that Error, but it might
just be

Warning: unable to allocate bitmap
Warning: opening device failed

The first of those is reporting what the GraphApp toolkit said, talking
directly to Windows GDI (and look at the Windows documentation for e.g.
CreateCompatibleBitmap to see that no limits are mentioned).

Even on Windows you have the option of using other png() devices:

png(filename = "Rplot03d.png",
     width = 480, height = 480, units = "px", pointsize = 12,
     bg = "white", res = NA, family = "", restoreConsole = TRUE,
     type = c("windows", "cairo", "cairo-png"), antialias)

Try the other 2 types: the cairo devices do not use your graphics
hardware nor MicroSoft's GDI. (The other 2 devices are Xlib on a
Unix-alike and Quartz on macOS.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk