[Rd] Grapics Device Resolution Limits

Dario Strbenac dstr7320 at uni.sydney.edu.au
Mon Feb 13 01:00:07 CET 2017

Good day,

> In general, the device-limits info is not on the help page because we do not know it.

It seems like it would be near-impossible to do in a cross-platform way.

> Normally you will get warning(s) accompanying that Error ...
> Warning: unable to allocate bitmap
> Warning: opening device failed

Yes, I saw those but omitted them from the question.

> Note that there are at least 5 separate png() devices, so Linux was not using the (default) device used on Windows.

That explains it.

> Try the other 2 types: the cairo devices do not use your graphics hardware nor MicroSoft's GDI.

Indeed, it works with the cairo backend.

Unfortunately, some scientific journals have unrealistic figure requirements, e.g. http://www.jidonline.org/content/authorinfo#idp1498768