[Rd] Pressing either Ctrl-\ of Ctrl-4 core dumps R

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 10:33:48 CET 2017

On 12 Feb 2017, at 23:54 , Henrik Bengtsson <henrik.bengtsson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I still don't understand why the terminal treats keypress Ctrl+4 the
> same as Ctrl+\, but at least I'm not alone;
> https://catern.com/posts/terminal_quirks.html#fn.3.

I would guess that this was just to get certain escape chars within reach on non-US keyboard layouts, e.g. the [\] characters are replaced by some permutation of the three extra letters in Scandinavian languages (as Henrik surely knows all about). So the awkward ones were reassigned/duplicated at Ctrl-2 -- Ctrl-8.

On, say, a current Mac Terminal.app, Ctrl-\ should be Ctrl-Shift-Alt-7, but that key combination actually just generates "7". I also recall terminals where some characters could only be obtained via compose sequences, e.g. compose-/-/ for "\", and there was no obvious way to add a Ctrl modifier to that.

-pd

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501