[Rd] Wish List: Extensions to the derivatives table

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Feb 20 15:06:54 CET 2017

> The issue is that without an extensible derivative table or the proposed extensions, it is not possible to automatically produce (without manual modification of the deriv3 output) a function that avoids catastrophic cancellation regardless of the working range.
> Manual modification is not onerous as a one-time exercise, but can be time consuming when it must be done numerous times, for example when evaluating the impact of different parameterizations on parameter effects curvature.  The alternative of more flexible differentiation does not seem to be a difficult addition to R.  In S+ (which does not have deriv3) it would simply involve adding the following lines to the switch statement in D
>
>   expm1 = make.call("*", make.call("exp", expr[[2]]), D(expr[[2]], name)),
>   log1p = make.call("/", D(expr[[2]], name), make.call("+", 1., expr[[2]])),
>   log2 = make.call("/", make.call("/", D(expr[[2]], name), expr[[2]]), quote(log(2)) ),
>   log10 = make.call("/", make.call("/", D(expr[[2]], name), expr[[2]]), quote(log(10)) ),
>   cospi = make.call("*", make.call("*", make.call("sinpi", expr[[2]]), make.call("-", D(expr[[2]], name))), quote(pi)),
>   sinpi = make.call("*", make.call("*", make.call("cospi", expr[[2]]), D(expr[[2]], name)), quote(pi)),
>   tanpi = make.call("/", make.call("*", D(expr[[2]], name), quote(pi)), make.call("^", make.call("cospi", expr[[2]]), 2)),
>
> Jerry

You are right, Jerry, it would be nice if R's derivative table
could be extended by the useR  using simple R code.
As Duncan Murdoch has mentioned already, this is now provided as
a byproduct of the functionality in the CRAN package 'nlsr'
{after that is tweaked, as you mentioned}, which is nice and
good to know (for all of us).

As one person who knows how important it may be to avoid cancellation,
I still would be willing to add to the "derivatives table" in
R's C source  if people like you provided  a (tested!) patch to
the source, which is in
    https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/library/stats/src/deriv.c

Martin