[Rd] How to build R without support for translations?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Feb 22 04:00:03 CET 2017

On 21 February 2017 at 18:45, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
| In Section 'Localization of messages' of R Installation and
| Administration (R 3.3.2), it says:
|
|    "R can be built without support for translations, but it is enabled
| by default."
|
| How can this be done?  Is this an option to 'configure', which I then
| failed to identify, or via some environment variable setting?

To a first approximation:  ensure configure fails that sub-tests by not
having the corresponding -dev package.  More elaborately, turn the
corresponding configure variable to 'no'.

| My objective is to get an R installation (on Linux) that is as small
| as possible.

I considered playing that game a couple of years ago and decided that it is
more or less a waste of time: as good as 'R the interpreter' is, the real
added value (at least to me) comes from the *incredible* power supplied by
the *massive* number *perfectly well working add-on* packages from CRAN.

Which nixes the idea of a minimal size. R really is /usr/bin/R plus whatever
you want from CRAN.  So for you, what use in reducing R by 10% if you can't
add the 'future' package?  Not to mention that many packages may need a
compiler, or a beast like BH, or ...

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org