[Rd] varimax implementation in stats package

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 15:16:07 CET 2017

factanal() was originally in MASS which is support software for Venables & Ripley (2002). They have Bartholomew & Knott (1999) as the main reference for factor analysis, so that would be a place to look (I don't have it to hand).

At any rate, varimax optimizes a well-defined criterion, so the "only" thing to do is to verify that the algorithm does that, not that it is somehow equivalent to any other algorithm. On the face of it, I would guess that it is derived ab initio, there is nothing pairwise about the code.

-pd