[Rd] accelerating matrix multiply

Tomas Kalibera tomas.kalibera at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 17:59:32 CET 2017

Hi Robert,

thanks for the report and your suggestions how to make the NaN checks
faster.

Based on my experiments it seems that the "break" in the loop actually
can have positive impact on performance even in the common case when we
don't have NaNs. With gcc on linux (corei7), where isnan is inlined, the
"break" version uses a conditional jump while the "nobreak" version uses
a conditional move. The conditional jump is faster because it takes
advantage of the branch prediction. Neither of the two versions is
vectorized (only scalar SSE instructions used).

How do you run R on Xeon Phi? Do you offload the NaN checks to the Phi
coprocessor? So far I tried without offloading to Phi, icc could
vectorize the "nobreak" version, but the performance of it was the same
as "break".

For my experiments I extracted NaN checks into a function. This was the
"break" version (same performance as the current code):

static __attribute__ ((noinline)) Rboolean hasNA(double *x, int n) {
   for (R_xlen_t i = 0; i < n; i++)
     if (ISNAN(x[i])) return TRUE;
   return FALSE;
}

And this was the "nobreak" version:

static __attribute__ ((noinline)) Rboolean hasNA(double *x, int n) {
   Rboolean has = FALSE;
   for (R_xlen_t i = 0; i < n; i++)
     if (ISNAN(x[i])) has=TRUE;
   return has;