[Rd] cross-platform portable code in CRAN Repository Policy

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 22:36:42 CET 2017

On 27/01/2017 4:28 PM, Da Zheng wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to submit my package to CRAN. When I read the policy, it says:
> Package authors should make all reasonable efforts to provide
> cross-platform portable code. Packages will not normally be accepted
> that do not run on at least two of the major R platforms.
>
> What major R platforms does this policy refer to?
> Currently, my package runs in Ubuntu. If it works on both Ubuntu and
> Redhat, does it count as two platforms?

No, those are both Linux.  Try to get it to run on Windows and Mac OS as
well (and if possible, Solaris).

If you don't have access to Windows, submit it to
win-builder.r-project.org for testing.  Mac OS and Solaris are currently
harder to test without setting up your own local systems.  Maybe someone
else will report on available test systems for those platforms.

Duncan Murdoch