[Rd] R_LIBS_USER on Ubuntu 16.04

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Jul 3 16:39:18 CEST 2017

On 3 July 2017 at 15:35, Stefan Lüdtke wrote:
| the recent update to R-3.4.1 kind of screwed the path to the libraries
| installed on a user basis.
|
| The previous version of the file /etc/R/Renviron had the following line
| activated:
|
| R_LIBS_USER=${R_LIBS_USER-'~/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.4'}
|
| This one is commented in the current one which means  that the path to the
| libraries installed previously is not found. I never touched this file before.
|
| Was that on purpose or did that happen accidentally?

i)   Wrong venue. Discussion of this should be on r-sig-debian.

ii)  On purpose. I have explained the rationale there (ie r-sig-debian) as
     well as this Debian bug report:  https://bugs.debian.org/866768

iii) Easiest fix: Remove _one_ character, the '#' on line 43 of file
     /etc/R/Renviron

iv)  "Correct" fix is the determine a use policy for directory
     /usr/local/lib/R/site-library -- at work several of us are in a shared
     group and you can use 'staff' or 'adm'.  On my laptop I just give the
     directory my own group.

Dirk, at DSC preceding useR! 2017

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org