[Rd] italic font on cairo devices in R 3.4

frederik at ofb.net frederik at ofb.net
Fri Jul 7 18:17:34 CEST 2017

Hi Ilia,

I'm running Arch Linux, R 3.4.0.

Here's my test.pdf from your minimal example: https://ptpb.pw/HxsA.pdf

It doesn't look pixelated to me...

Here's a post that I wrote when I solved my last font problem in R,
almost 2 years ago:

https://stackoverflow.com/a/40940331/5087283

I had to install some Microsoft font packages, which is sad, because
there are some perfectly good free fonts that R could be using
instead. It could be considered a bug that R requires Microsoft fonts,
at least by default. However, does this even fix your problem? I.e. if
you install the corresponding Debian Microsoft font packages, does the
text appear anti-aliased?

Frederick