[Rd] install.packages problem on Windows: CRANextras timeout

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Jul 17 10:29:49 CEST 2017

    > Hello,
    > R 3.4.1 on Windows 7, sessionInfo at the end.
    > Is there a problem with install.packages? Since last friday every time I
    > try to install a package in RGui, I start by choosing the CRAN mirror
    > Cloud-0 and RGui hangs. So I restart RGui and choose Portugal (Lisbon)
    > and get the following warning after a long while (minutes).

As (I think) you notice below yourself, the problem is not with
the regular CRAN repos but with the  'CRANextra'  repos that
R users of Windows use sometimes.

We had heard offline of a potential timeout/downtime for a short
period at Oxford for that, so this may be the simple explanation.

On the other hand everything ends up working fine,
so all this is just a warning, right?

If I do the same thing I don't have to wait and get the same
warning as you (and when I then decide to use the older *binary*
for igraph that is installed fine).

Martin