[Rd] Wrongly converging glm()

Harm-Jan Westra westra.harmjan at outlook.com
Thu Jul 20 20:32:24 CEST 2017

My apologies if I seemed to ‘blame R’. This was in no way my intention. I get the feeling that you’re missing my point as well.

I observed something that I thought was confusing, when comparing two more or less identical methods (when validating the C code), and wanted to make a suggestion as to how to help future R users. Note that I already acknowledged that my data was bad. Note that I also mention that the way R determines convergence is a valid approach.

What strikes me as odd is that R would warn you when your data is faulty for a function such as cor(), but not for glm(). I don’t see why you wouldn’t want to check both convergence criteria if you know multiple of such criteria exist. It would make the software more user friendly in the end.

It may be true that there are millions of edge cases causing issues with glm(), as you say, but here I am presenting an edge case that can be easily detected, by checking whether the difference in beta estimates between the current and previous iteration is bigger than a certain epsilon value.

I agree ‘that everybody using R should first do the effort of learning what they're doing’, but it is a bit of a non-argument, because we all know that, the world just doesn’t work that way, plus this is one of the arguments that has held for example the Linux community back for quite a while (i.e. let’s not make the software more user friendly because the user should be more knowledgeable).

Harm-Jan