[Rd] Error: memory exhausted (limit reached?)

Tomas Kalibera tomas.kalibera at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 13:01:25 CET 2017

Hi Guillaume,

the error "C stack usage is too close to the limit" is usually caused by
infinite recursion.
It can also be caused by an external library that corrupts the C stack
(such as Java on Linux, e.g. when using rJava).

I cannot repeat the problem on my machine.

To rule out the second option, you can try in a fresh R session without
To diagnose the first option one would need to know if and where the
infinite recursion happens, which can be found with gdb on a machine
where the problem can be repeated.

Best
Tomas