[Rd] non-infectious license for R package?

Joris Meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 17:04:45 CET 2017

The key difference being that while not under the GPL, highcharter is still
open source. There isn't a single compiled library in the entire package.
WinBUGS otoh is closed source (although there is an open source version of
it, OpenBUGS). As far as I understood, CRAN doesn't accept packages
containing any binary executable code without the proper source files
attached. So including the closed source libraries as Mario wanted to do,
is not accepted on CRAN.

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/policies.html#Source-packages

On a sidenote: I'm not a legal expert, and I might have been misusing the
term "proprietary software" where I should've written "closed source". My
apologies if I confused anybody doing so.

Cheers