[Rd] stopifnot() does not stop at first non-TRUE argument

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon May 15 10:39:05 CEST 2017

    > On 05/03/2017 12:04 PM, Hervé Pagès wrote:
    >> Not sure why the performance penalty of nonstandard evaluation would
    >> be more of a concern here than for something like switch().

    > which is actually a primitive. So it seems that there is at least
    > another way to go than 'dots <- match.call(expand.dots=FALSE)$...'

    > Thanks, H.

    >> If that can't/won't be fixed, what about fixing the man page so it's
    >> in sync with the current behavior?
    >>
    >> Thanks, H.

Being back from vacations,...
I agree that something should be done here, if not to the code than at
least to the man page.

For now, I'd like to look a bit longer into a possible change to the function.
Peter mentioned a NSE way to fix the problem and you mentioned switch().

Originally, stopifnot() was only a few lines of code and meant to be
"self-explaining" by just reading its definition, and I really would like
to not walk too much away from that original idea.
How did you (Herve) think to use  switch()  here?