[Rd] Inconsistency in handling of numeric input with %d by sprintf

Evan Cortens ecortens at mtroyal.ca
Tue May 23 16:53:34 CEST 2017

Hi Michael,

I posted something on this topic to R-devel several weeks ago, but never
got a response. My ultimate conclusion is that sprintf() isn't super
consistent in how it handles coercion: sometimes it'll coerce real to
integer without complaint, other times it won't. (My particular email had
to do with the vectors longer than 1 and their positioning vis-a-vis the
format string.) The safest thing is just to pass the right type. In this
case, sprintf('%d', as.integer(NA_real_)) works.

Best,

Evan