[Rd] Bug in model.matrix.default for higher-order interaction encoding when specific model terms are missing

Tyler tylermw at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 17:33:25 CET 2017

Hi Arie,

I understand what you're saying. The following excerpt out of the book
shows that F_j does not refer exclusively to categorical factors: "...the
rule does not do anything special for them, and it remains valid, in a
trivial sense, whenever any of the F_j is numeric rather than categorical."
Since F_j refers to both categorical and numeric variables, the behavior of
model.matrix is not consistent with the heuristic.

Best regards,
Tyler