[Rd] Function 'factor' issues

Suharto Anggono Suharto Anggono suharto_anggono at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 25 12:03:36 CET 2017

>From commits to R devel, I saw attempts to speed up subsetting and 'match', and to cache results of conversion of small nonnegative integers to character string. That's good.

I am sorry for pushing, still.

Is the partial new behavior of function 'factor' with respect to NA really worthy?

match(xlevs, nlevs)[f]  looks nice, too.

- Using
f <- match(xlevs, nlevs)[f]
instead of
f <- match(xlevs[f], nlevs)
for remapping
- Remapping only if length(nlevs) differs from length(xlevs)
Applying changes similar to above to function 'levels<-.factor' will not change 'levels<-.factor' result at all. So, the corresponding part of functions 'factor' and 'levels<-.factor' can be kept in sync.