[Rd] Function 'factor' issues

Gabriel Becker gmbecker at ucdavis.edu
Wed Oct 18 19:59:59 CEST 2017

Martin, Suharto, et al.,

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
> wrote:

> *<snip>*
>
>     > Note: In theory, if function 'factor' merged duplicated 'labels' in
> all cases, at least in
>     > factor(c(sqrt(2)^2, 2))  ,
>     > function 'factor' could do matching on original 'x' (without
> conversion to character), as in R before version 2.10.0. If function
> 'factor' did it,
>     > factor(c(sqrt(2)^2, 2), levels = c(sqrt(2)^2, 2), labels =
> c("sqrt(2)^2", "2"))
>     > could take sqrt(2)^2 and 2 as distinct.
>
> Well, that may be interesting.. but I doubt if that's somewhere
> we should go, easily, because  factor() has been documented to do
> what it does now (with very slightly rounding such numbers via
> as.character(.))
> and hence such a change would typically lead to much work for
> too many people.
>
> I do see that indeed the  as.character(.) inside factor() takes
> most of the CPU time used in largish factor() examples [as your
> first], and indeed, for the case of integer 'x', we really could
> be much faster in factor construction.

Indeed; the ALTREP framework already has an alternative string (character
vector) implementation which defers conversion from another vector type.
Luke implemented it to drastically speed up the creation of default row
labels (1:n, I believe) on design matrices within lm/glm, under the
assumption that no one is ever going to look at the design matrix row
labels most of the time, and there's no reason to pay the cost of creating
them until they do.

In principle, we could look at doing the same for levels of a factor.

Furthermore, while I haven't put in the hooks yet to utilize them yet, even
in my local copy, ALTREP classes are allowed to include a custom unique
method, so in cases where

unique(as.character(x)) == as.character(unique(x))

we could avoid the conversion even when calling unique() (at the R level)
on such a deferred vector.

This would include, I think, the case where inferring levels from the
vector. I believe the point Martin made earlier about as.character
potentially doing some rounding means that the required identity would hold
when factors are being generated from integer vectors but would not be
guaranteed when factors are generated from (non-integer) numeric vectors.

Best,
~G