[Rd] range function with finite=T and logical parameters

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Oct 23 18:36:05 CEST 2017

    > Hi!
    > I was wondering about the behavior of the range function wrt. logical NAs:

    >> range(c(0L, 1L, NA), finite=T)
    > [1] 0 1
    >> range(c(F, T, NA), finite=T)
    > [1] NA NA

    > The documentation is quite clear that "finite = TRUE includes na.rm = TRUE”, so that I would have assumed that these two snippets would produce the same result.

    > - Lukas

I agree.  Further, another informal "rule" would require that the two calls

     range(L, *)
     range(as.numeric(L), *)

are equivalent for logical vectors L without attributes.
I'll look into fixing this by an obvious change to (R-level)
range.default().

------

Note for the more advanced ones -- i.e. typical R-devel readers :

T and F are variables in R.  For that reason, using the language
keywords TRUE and FALSE is much preferred in such cases.  For
some tests we'd even use

    T <- FALSE

or even

    delayedAssign("F", stop("do not use 'F'  when programming with R"))

before running the tests -- just do ensure that the code to be
tested does not use these short forms.

Thank you, Lukas,  for the report!

Best,
Martin