[Rd] How to create a table structure in Java code?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at R-project.org
Thu Oct 26 16:13:32 CEST 2017

You are entering the quoting hell - you are missing quotes and escapes for \n. it would be much more reasonable to use the rConnection.assign method instead of pasting any content through the parser.

Cheers,
Simon

> On Oct 26, 2017, at 9:59 AM, Morkus via R-devel <r-devel at r-project.org> wrote:
>
> That's amazing! Thank you!!!
>
> One follow up question, if that's OK?
>
> If, instead of using hard-coded CSV, I read the CSV into a variable first, then it fails again with a parse error.
>
> Code below.
>
> So, if I read the CSV into a variable, do I need an additional wrapper method?
>
> Seems like it should still work.
>
> Thanks in advance for your reply.
>
> -M
>
> String inputIris = "5.1,3.5,1.4,0.2,setosa\n" +
> "4.9,3,1.4,0.2,setosa\n" +
> "4.7,3.2,1.3,0.2,setosa\n" +
> "4.6,3.1,1.5,0.2,setosa\n" +
> "5,3.6,1.4,0.2,setosa\n" +
> "5.4,3.9,1.7,0.4,setosa\n" +
> "4.6,3.4,1.4,0.3,setosa";
>
> REXP irisData =rConnection.eval(
> "read.csv(textConnection(" + inputIris + "), header = FALSE)");
>
> Sent from [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com), Swiss-based encrypted email.

>>> 4.9,3,1.4,0.2,setosa,
>>> 4.7,3.2,1.3,0.2,setosa,
>>> 4.6,3.1,1.5,0.2,setosa,
>>> 5,3.6,1.4,0.2,setosa,
>>> I've tried various combinations in code to achieve what's simple in RConsole, but I can't get R to accept my structure.
>>>
>>> - I've tried just including the data in a string.
>>> - I've tried wrapping the data with "data"
>>> - I've tried wrapping the data with "data.frame" (as below).
>>>
>>> Here's my latest attempt:
>>> String tableRead = "data.frame(5.1,3.5,1.4,0.2,setosa\n" +
>>> "4.9,3,1.4,0.2,setosa\n" +
>>> "4.7,3.2,1.3,0.2,setosa\n" +
>>> "4.6,3.1,1.5,0.2,setosa\n" +