[Rd] Debate: Shall some of Microsoft R Open Code be ported to mainstream R?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Oct 30 04:09:57 CET 2017

On 29 October 2017 at 22:01, Kenny Bell wrote:
| User here: incorporating Intel's MKL, as MRO does, would be a very welcome
| addition.
|
| I was an MRO user before and it improved my experience with medium data
| immensely.
|
| They did, however, leave behind bugs here and there, especially related to
| development with Rcpp, so I switched back to vanilla R.

With all due respect: You may miss something. MKL has always worked with 'Base R'.

As a point of reference and comparison, I set up a benchmarking and
comparison package _well over half a decade ago_ and while it never get fully
finished to the point of a submitted paper the vignette still stands---and
demonstrates that _dropping in MKL is a one-line operation_.

And always has been.  There may have been some license arbitrage: Intel was
an early investor in Revo, so MKL was pushed hard.  With GotoBLAS and later
OpenBLAS I cared less, but IIRC the license of MKL is a little simpler for
"mere use" now.

See  https://cloud.r-project.org/web/packages/gcbd/vignettes/gcbd.pdf  for more.

Hth,  Dirk