[Rd] Debate: Shall some of Microsoft R Open Code be ported to mainstream R?

Ista Zahn istazahn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 00:37:12 CET 2017

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Cohn, Robert S
<robert.s.cohn at intel.com> wrote:
> I think the thing that is missing is a simple way for end users on windows to replace blas/lapack libraries with MKL-a package that you install that puts the libraries in the right place.
>
> Microsoft provides something for their distro, but we don't have the equivalent if you get R from cran.

I don't have any interest in using a proprietary BLAS when a perfectly
good free alternative exists. If we just care about performance,
swapping out the reference BLAS for openBLAS is pretty simple
apparently:

- Download pre-compiled openblas from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/openblas/files/ (windows binaries
currently available for 2.19 but not 2.20)
- Unzip and copy libopenblas.dll to C:\Program Files\R\R-3.4.x\bin\x64
and rename it "Rblas.dll"
- Download the mingw dll's (e.g., from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/openblas/files/v0.2.15/mingw64_dll.zip/download),
unzip and copy all the dll's to C:\Program Files\R\R-3.4.x\bin\x64

Best,
Ista