[Rd] Bug in model.matrix.default for higher-order interaction encoding when specific model terms are missing

Tyler tylermw at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 16:01:31 CET 2017

Hi Arie,

Thank you for your further research into the issue.

Regarding Stata: On the other hand, JMP gives model matrices that use the
main effects contrasts in computing the higher order interactions, without
the dummy variable encoding. I verified this both by analyzing the linear
model given in my first example and noting that JMP has one more degree of
freedom than R for the same model, as well as looking at the generated
model matrices. It's easy to find a design where JMP will allow us fit our
model with goodness-of-fit estimates and R will not due to the extra
degree(s) of freedom required. Let's keep the conversation limited to R.

I want to refocus back onto my original bug report, which was not for a
missing main effects term, but rather for a missing lower-order interaction
term. The behavior of model.matrix.default() for a missing main effects
term is a nice example to demonstrate how model.matrix encodes with dummy
variables instead of contrasts, but doesn't demonstrate the inconsistent
behavior my bug report highlighted.

I went looking for documentation on this behavior, and the issue stems not
from model.matrix.default(), but rather the terms() function in
interpreting the formula. This "clever" replacement of contrasts by dummy
variables to maintain marginality (presuming that's the reason) is not
described anywhere in the documentation for either the model.matrix() or
the terms() function. In order to find a description for the behavior, I
had to look in the underlying C code, buried above the "TermCode" function
of the "model.c" file, which says:

"TermCode decides on the encoding of a model term. Returns 1 if variable
``whichBit'' in ``thisTerm'' is to be encoded by contrasts and 2 if it is
to be encoded by dummy variables.  This is decided using the heuristic
described in Statistical Models in S, page 38."

I do not have a copy of this book, and I suspect most R users do not as
well. Thankfully, however, some of the pages describing this behavior were
available as part of Amazon's "Look Inside" feature--but if not for that, I
would have no idea what heuristic R was using. Since those pages could made
unavailable by Amazon at any time, at the very least we have an problem
with a lack of documentation.

However, I still believe there is a bug when comparing R's implementation
to the heuristic described in the book. From Statistical Models in S, page
38-39:

"Suppose F_j is any factor included in term T_i. Let T_{i(j)} denote the
margin of T_i for factor F_j--that is, the term obtained by dropping F_j
from T_i. We say that T_{i(j)} has appeared in the formula if there is some
term T_i' for i' < i such that T_i' contains all the factors appearing
in T_{i(j)}.
The usual case is that T_{i(j)} itself is one of the preceding terms. Then
F_j is coded by contrasts if T_{i(j)} has appeared in the formula and by
dummy variables if it has not"

Here, F_j refers to a factor (variable) in a model and not a categorical
factor, as specified later in that section (page 40): "Numeric variables
appear in the computations as themselves, uncoded. Therefore, the rule does
not do anything special for them, and it remains valid, in a trivial sense,
whenever any of the F_j is numeric rather than categorical."

Going back to my original example with three variables: X1 (numeric), X2
(numeric), X3 (categorical). This heuristic prescribes encoding X1:X2:X3
with contrasts as long as X1:X2, X1:X3, and X2:X3 exist in the formula.
When any of the preceding terms do not exist, this heuristic tells us to
use dummy variables to encode the interaction (e.g. "F_j [the interaction
term] is coded ... by dummy variables if it [any of the marginal terms
obtained by dropping a single factor in the interaction] has not [appeared
in the formula]"). However, the example I gave demonstrated that this dummy
variable encoding only occurs for the model where the missing term is the
numeric-numeric interaction, "~(X1+X2+X3)^3-X1:X2". Otherwise, the
interaction term X1:X2:X3 is encoded by contrasts, not dummy variables.
This is inconsistent with the description of the intended behavior given in
the book.

Best regards,
Tyler