[Rd] I have corrected a dead link in the treering documentation

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Sep 2 23:37:48 CEST 2017

> [...]

    > fortran.com, en.wikipedia.org, pubs.opengroup.org, and
    > people.redhat.com.

    > So we see that several \url calls reference private
    > publishers even though the links could be replaced with
    > alternatives. By my categorization, 5 out of 20 sampled
    > files (95% confidence interval of 9 files to 65 files of
    > the population of 148 matching files, based on a bespoke
    > t-test with finite population correction because I had
    > trouble compiling the sampling package, see urls.r)
    > include a replaceable reference to a private publisher.

    > I briefly looked through the full population of Rd files,
    > and I got the impression that this sort of private
    > reference may be restricted to a just a few publishers,
    > with Wikimedia possibly being the most prominent.

    > To summarize, several other documentation files already
    > reference private publishers, and the set of publishers is
    > small enough that it would be feasible to review each
    > publisher in order consider whether the references to it
    > should replaced with alternatives.

    > Opinion regarding the present patch
    > -----------------------------------
    > I think that linking to the Wayback Machine, by the
    > Internet Archive, is consistent with the practice in many
    > other base libraries and that it is thus acceptable.

    > At present, base makes no references to the Wayback
    > Machine but makes several references to English
    > Wikipedia. An even more consistent option is thus to link
    > to the English Wikipedia article for Great Basin
    > bristlecone pine
    > (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_longaeva) or for
    > Methuselah
    > (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methuselah_(tree)) instead
    > of the Wayback Machine page that I reference in the
    > patch. (Note that the treering data are from a tree in the
    > Methuselah Walk but not from Methuselah itself.)

    > On the other hand, if we are to avoid referencing private
    > institutions unnecessarily, we should create a broader
    > initiative to replace private non-source references in
    > base documentation. For me, more worrisome than references
    > to the Open Group or to Wikimedia are the references to
    > the private company GitHub, as in utils/man/tar.Rd; aside
    > from the social implications of supporting a private
    > company whose repository hosting service has been accessed
    > by the Free Software Foundation as unethical
    > (https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html),
    > I do not even trust in the long-term availability of its
    > webpages.

    > And of course, if we do not correct the dead link in
    > treering, I think we should remove the dead link. We can
    > optionally replace it with a very short description of
    > Great Basin bristlecone pines.

    > Further discussion
    > ------------------

    > RESTRICTION CRITERIA

    > If R is to have formal restrictions as to what sorts of
    > references may be included in the base documentation, I
    > think that private versus public is not an appropriate

I was not at all aiming for formal restrictions... I'm sorry if
what I said looked like that.

One reason for not using internet archive links would be that
they are "somewhat costly" for the archive itself, because often
"serving the URL" may be a somewhat expensive data base access
.. and as I said they are not a big fat company with lots of
resources.

Anyway you've made your very good points,
and also for reason of efficiency on this list, I've committed
your proposed change ... with thanks to you.

Martin