[Rd] establishing a Code of Conduct for R

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Wed Sep 13 13:22:53 CEST 2017

On Wed, 2017-09-13 at 12:54 +0200, Suzen, Mehmet wrote:
> Dear Colleagues/Developers/R enthusiasts,
>
> Would it be possible to develop a code of conduct (CoC) document for
> R lists, CRAN submissions that all developers/maintainers to follow?
> This may help all of us to better communicate and move forward
> together.
> There is a similar effort from Python community, here are the links:
>
> * https://mail.python.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2017-August/022044.html
> * https://opensource.guide/code-of-conduct/

I am not an official representative of the R team, so this is only my
opinion.

It seems to me that you are trying to create a solution to a problem
which does not exist.

All the R mailing lists have posting guides.  The mailing list
community is largely self-policing to unwelcome behavior and corrects
it quickly.

In over 15 years as an active part of this community, it has always
appeared to me that the community as a whole already conducts itself in
a spirit of professionalism and cooperation.

So I don't see the point in asking already overworked volunteers to
take on and police more formal policies that really seem unnecessary.

Regards,

Brian

--
Brian G. Peterson