[Rd] what do you think about write.table(... qmethod = "excel")?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 23:45:13 CEST 2017

On 19/09/2017 4:10 PM, Ista Zahn wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Last week one of our clients reported trouble with a csv file I
>> generated with write.table.  He said that columns with quotes for
>> character variables were rejected by their data importer, which was
>> revised to match the way Microsoft Excel uses quotation marks in
>> character variables.  I explained to them that quoted character
>> variables are virtuous and wise, of course, but they say Microsoft
>> Excel CSV export no longer quotes characters unless they include
>> commas in the values.
>>
>> They showed me a CSV file from Excel that looked like this
>>
>> x1,x2,x3,x4 5 6
>> fred,barney,betty,x
>> bambam,"fred,wilma",pebbles,y
>>
>> Note how the quotes only happen on row 2 column 2. I was surprised it
>> did that, but now I have some pressure to write a csv maker that has
>> that structure.
>
> I think you should resist that pressure.

That depends on whether this is a paying client or not.

 > It really makes no sense to
> write a .csv parser that _only_ supports .csv files created by Excel.

That's true, but if that's what they want to do, and they're willing to
pay to be able to write files that imitate Excel, then why not do what
they ask?

On the other hand, if they aren't willing to pay for the work, then you
should lecture them on how silly their request is.

In any case, base R functions should not include nonsense, so this is
not something that should go into R.

Duncan Murdoch