[Rd] Base R examples that write to current working directory

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 3 11:37:04 CEST 2018

    > So, the proposal would then be to write to tempdir(),
    > correct?  If so, I see three alternatives:

    > 1. explicitly use file.path(tempdir(), filename), or
    > tempfile() everywhere.

I think it should clearly be  '1.',
as both '2.' and '3.' would need new functionality in R.

Ideally we'd get the patch within a day or two, so we can safely
apply it also to  R 3.5.0 alpha  (before it turns beta!).

I think the 'eval.path' argument to example() is a nice idea,
but also changing its default to  tempdir() is definitely out of
the question for R 3.5.0.

Martin