[Rd] packageDate() segfaults, if used without argument

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Apr 16 09:03:35 CEST 2018

    > Out of curiosity, I played a bit with the new function
    > packageDate() from April, 4th. All works fine, except
    > using it without any argument.  In this case, it
    > segfaults:

Thank you, Rainer, for the report -- about the *development* version of R

Note that the segfault would not have happened in  'R 3.5.0 beta'
(today turning to be 'R 3.5.0 RC'  : RC := Release Candidate )
which we'd be very happy if you used extensively.

    > #> packageDate() Error in packageDescription(pkg, lib.loc
    > = lib.loc, fields = date.fields) : argument "pkg" is
    > missing, with no default

    >  *** caught segfault *** address 0x77bc3c0, cause 'memory
    > not mapped' Segmentation fault (core dumped)

    > My system is FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT amd64 with R-devel
    > (r74601).

It was a lapsus -- of mine -- not at all related to packageDate(),
corrected yesterday (svn r 74604).

Martin