[Rd] odd assignInNamespace / setGeneric interaction

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Apr 19 17:39:24 CEST 2018

The problem is not specific to redefining the q function, but to
the interaction of assignInNamespace and setGeneric.  The
latter requires, roughtly, that the environment of the function
being replaced by an S4 generic is (or is the descendent of)
the environment in which it lives.

E.g., the following demonstrates the problem

% R --quiet --vanilla
> assignInNamespace("plot", function(x, ...) stop("No plotting allowed!"),
getNamespace("graphics"))
> library(stats4)
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘stats4’ in loadNamespace(name):
 there is no package called ‘.GlobalEnv’

and defining the bogus plot function in the graphics namespace avoids the
problem

% R --quiet --vanilla
>  assignInNamespace("plot", with(getNamespace("graphics"), function(x,
...) stop("No plotting allowed!")), getNamespace("graphics"))
> library(stats4)

I suppose poeple who use assignInNamespace get what they deserve.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 2:33 AM, Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch