[Rd] readLines() for non-blocking pipeline behaves differently in R 3.5

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 20:35:00 CEST 2018

I suspect the reason for the seek is this:

cat("1\n", file = "foobar")
f  <- file("foobar", blocking = FALSE, open = "r")
readLines(f)
#> [1] "1"

cat("2\n", file = "foobar", append = TRUE)
readLines(f)

cat("3\n", file = "foobar", append = TRUE)
readLines(f)

I.e. R can emulate a file connection with non-blocking reads.
AFAICT there is no such thing, in Unix at least.
For this  emulation, it needs to seek to the "current" position.

Gabor