[Rd] Bug in RScript.exe for 3.5.0

Tomas Kalibera tomas.kalibera at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 08:23:07 CEST 2018

Hi Simone,

On 04/29/2018 10:12 PM, Simone Giannerini wrote:

>     Dear Tomas,
>
>     thank you for fixing the bug, I still do not find it mentioned in
>     the changelog though (neither R-patched nor R-devel), also, see
>     inline below

as Henrik pointed out, the fix is mentioned in the NEWS file (now both
R-devel and R-patched). The usual procedure is fix in R-devel, give some
time for further testing/review also by others (depends on the severity
of the bug and the risk of introducing new bugs by the fix), then update
NEWS in R-devel, then eventually port both the fix and the NEWS entry to
R-patched.

>     On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 11:36 PM, Tomas Kalibera
>     <tomas.kalibera at gmail.com <mailto:tomas.kalibera at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>         I don't have an opinion if this requires 3.5.1 to be released
>         soon(er), but I have ported to R-patched now. The bug existed
>         in R-devel for a year without being spotted, which is quite a
>         long time - but it may be these bugs are hard to find before
>         release, because people testing and using an unreleased
>         version of R would not use space in file names. As apparently
>         users of released versions do, we should do better about
>         testing, perhaps test regularly with space in path names on a
>         system that supports it. I think normal regression tests
>         should not depend on such support.
>
>         In either case, I would recommend users to avoid space in file
>         names to be safe.
>

>     note that sometimes users have little or no control over this. For
>     instance, the bug broke the RManager interface between R, knitr
>     and Winedt since Winedt installs itself and its data in
>     directories with spaces in the filename/path and RManager calls
>     are something of the kind
>
>     Rscript.exe "%b\Exec\R\Knitr.R" filename.Rnw
>
>     where %b is the local Winedt directory that by default has spaces
>     in its path. Before you suggested the workaround I had to convert
>     manually the paths to the dos 8.3 format in order to make it work
>     again.

Indeed, the space could also originate from path name set up by the
system administrator (such as first and last name of a user) or from a
third party application. It may be also a third party application that
is not robust against space in file name (e.g. Make, where it is by
design and essentially cannot be fixed). I think ideally in we should in
all roles (administrator, user, package developer, R internals
developer) try to avoid space in file names, try to educate people to
avoid space in file names, but also try to make systems work even with
space in file name. When you find a bug in R itself that prevents
something from working with space in filename, please file a bug report.
Especially when a bug has been introduced between R versions, it is
usually easy to fix it - of course there is no guarantee but you may
easily be given a workaround within few hours. If you find such error in
a package, please report to package author (and if repeatedly
unresponsive, please report to repository maintainer - e.g. CRAN).

Best
Tomas