[Rd] possible bug in plot.intervals.lmList

Martin Maechler m@echler @ending from @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Fri Aug 3 12:22:03 CEST 2018

    > Dear R-devel members,
    > I think I've found a minor bug in plot.intervals.lmList. ( The guide
    > https://www.r-project.org/bugs.html suggests to report it here, as I
    > do not have a bugzilla account.)

 [Just for people reading this:
  alternatively you could've asked here (or in private) to get a
  bugzilla account.]

    > Here is a minimal reproducible example to demonstrate the problem:

    > fm1 <- lmList(distance ~ age | Subject, Orthodont)
    > plot(intervals(fm1),ylab="a")

    > This results in: "Error in bwplot.formula(x = group ~ intervals |
    > what, data = list(group = c(1L,  :   formal argument "ylab" matched by
    > multiple actual arguments".

    > I am not an experienced R programmer at that level, but I think the
    > problem is due to the fact that ylab is explicitly passed as an
    > argument to dotplot *and* the ... is also passed (which will also
    > include ylab in the above example).

    > Tamas

Exactly. Your diagnosis is correct, and it definitely is a
buglet in package 'nlme' (maintained by R Core, currently).

I've committed a bug fix (and related "cleanup cosmetics") to
the nlme package sources which  are maintained in subversion / svn at
  https://svn.r-project.org/R-packages/trunk/nlme/

Thank you for your precise and reproducible bug report!

Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich and R Core Team