[Rd] SIGSEGV in R_RunWeakRefFinalizer, object allocated with Rcpp

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Thu Aug 9 20:58:44 CEST 2018

On 9 August 2018 at 20:37, Tomas Kalibera wrote:
| So to answer your original question, this could probably be handled in
| Rcpp,

Hm. Why do you say that / what did you have in mind?

Recall that we do not alter SEXPs or introduce additional additional
reference counters -- because we do not think that altering the basic R API
for such calls would be a wise strategy.  So we do more or less what is done
in C for R, with some additional hand-holding which circumvents a number of
common errors.

| but in either case I would not use dyn.unload() in the first
| place. This problem may be just one of many.

I think I'd second that. I never had much unloading packages or dynamic
libraries and tend to "just say no". Both short-lived processes (ie via 'r')
as well as long sessions (ie R via ESS, running for weeks) work for my
workflows.

Dirk