[Rd] Package compiler - efficiency problem

Karol Podemski gecon@m@inten@nce @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Aug 17 00:43:37 CEST 2018

Dear Thomas,

thank you for prompt response and taking interest in this issue. I really
appreciate your compiler project and efficiency gains in usual case. I am
aware of limitations of interpreted languages too and because of that even
when writing my first mail I had a hunch that it is not that easy to
address this problem.  As you mentioned optimisation of compiler for
handling non-standard code may be tricky and harmful for usual code. The
question is if gEcon is the only package that may face the same issue
because of compilation.

The functions generated by gEcon are systems of non-linear equations
defining the equilibrium of an economy (see
http://gecon.r-forge.r-project.org/files/gEcon-users-guide.pdf  if you want
to learn a bit how we obtain it). The rows, you suggested to vectorise, are
indeed vectorisable because they define equilibrium for similiar markets
(e.g. production and sale of beverages and food) but do not have to be
vectorisable in general case. So that not to delve into too much details I
will stop here in description of how the equations originate. However, I
would like to point that similiar large systems of linear equations may
arise in other fields ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steady_state ) and
there may be other packages that generate similar large systems (e.g.
network problems like hydraulic networks). In that case, reports such as
mine may help you to assess the scale of the problems.

Thank you for suggestions for improvement in our approach, i am going to
discuss them with other package developers.

Regards,
Karol Podemski

pon., 13 sie 2018 o 18:02 Tomas Kalibera <tomas.kalibera using gmail.com>