[Rd] Where does L come from?

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @ending from me@com
Sat Aug 25 15:40:07 CEST 2018

On Aug 25, 2018, at 9:26 AM, Hadley Wickham <h.wickham using gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Would someone mind pointing to me to the inspiration for the use of
> the L suffix to mean "integer"?  This is obviously hard to google for,
> and the R language definition
> (https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-lang.html#Constants)
> is silent.
>
> Hadley

The link you have above, does reference the use of 'L', but not the derivation.

There is a thread on R-Help from 2012 ("Difference between 10 and 10L"), where Prof. Ripley addresses the issue in response to Bill Dunlap and the OP:

  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2012-May/311771.html

In searching, I also found the following thread on SO:

  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22191324/clarification-of-l-in-r/22192378

which had a link to the R-Help thread above and others.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz