[Rd] Dealing with .git folder when using R CMD INSTALL

Joris Meys jori@mey@ @ending from gm@il@com
Thu Dec 6 16:12:12 CET 2018

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, 16:04 Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner using daqana.com wrote:

> On 06.12.18 15:19, Joris Meys wrote:
> > I know this R CMD build ignores these files and folders by default, but R
> > CMD INSTALL doesn't apparently.
>
> to me this is not apparent. I just tried "R CMD INSTALL ." in a package
> directory with a .git directory. This went without any problems. What do
> you observe?

When running BiocCheck, I get complaints about file sizes in the .git
folder. Checking the code I have noticed it uses R CMD INSTALL on the pkg
directory. As .Rbuildignore is afaik not taken into account by INSTALL, I
reckoned somewhere in the process R CMD INSTALL drags the .git folder along.

I might have been too quick with my assessment, I will dig a bit deeper
tonight

Cheers
Joris