[Rd] Dealing with .git folder when using R CMD INSTALL

Joris Meys jori@mey@ @ending from gm@il@com
Thu Dec 6 18:40:10 CET 2018

I'm sorry, I should have indeed given a better description.

The package I'm seeing the issue with, can be found here :
https://github.com/CenterForStatistics-UGent/RCM

The problem becomes visible when opening an RStudio session and running
BiocCheck::BiocCheck() (This is a Bioconductor package)

> BiocCheck::BiocCheck()
This is BiocCheck version 1.18.0. BiocCheck is a
work in progress. Output and severity of issues may
change. Installing package...
* Checking vignette directory...
    This is a software package
    # of chunks: 39, # of eval=FALSE: 4 (10%)
* Checking version number...
    Checking version number validity...
    Package version 0.99.0; pre-release
* Checking R Version dependency...
* Checking package size...
        Skipped... only checked on source tarball
* Checking individual file sizes...
    * WARNING: The following files are over 5MB in size:
      '.git/objects/pack/pack-92e66ff77b78e7fa5121747871adeaa41fb1feb6.pack'

And at this point I start hitting myself so I can utter an apology and
inform you that BiocCheck doesn't check filesize on the installed package
but on the original project directory.

My mistake, and I should have been more careful before bothering you all.
Cheers
Joris

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:14 PM Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> wrote:

> On 6 December 2018 at 15:59, Ralf Stubner wrote:
> | On 06.12.18 15:19, Joris Meys wrote:
> | > I know this R CMD build ignores these files and folders by default,
> but R
> | > CMD INSTALL doesn't apparently.
> |
> | to me this is not apparent. I just tried "R CMD INSTALL ." in a package
> | directory with a .git directory. This went without any problems. What do
> | you observe?
>
> Seconded. I joked off-list to Joris that this post failed to contain a MCVE
> (== minimally complete verifiable example).  Witness below -- two
> installations from a directory containing .git yet none in the installed
> directory.  Could what you describe be particular to your OS or filesystem?
>
> edd using rob:~/git/dang$ ls -a
> .          dang_0.0.7.tar.gz  dang.Rproj   .gitignore  R
> .Rhistory
> ..         dang_0.0.8.tar.gz  DESCRIPTION  man         .Rbuildignore
> .Rproj.user
> ChangeLog  dang.Rcheck        .git         NAMESPACE   README.md
> .travis.yml
> edd using rob:~/git/dang$ R CMD INSTALL .
> * installing to library ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library’
> * installing *source* package ‘dang’ ...
> ** R
> ** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
> ** help
> *** installing help indices
> ** building package indices
> ** testing if installed package can be loaded
> * DONE (dang)
> edd using rob:~/git/dang$ ls -a /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/dang/
> .  ..  DESCRIPTION  help  html  INDEX  Meta  NAMESPACE  R
> edd using rob:~/git/dang$ install.r
> * installing *source* package found in current working directory ...
> * installing *source* package ‘dang’ ...
> ** R
> ** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
> ** help
> *** installing help indices
> ** building package indices
> ** testing if installed package can be loaded
> * DONE (dang)
> edd using rob:~/git/dang$ ls -a /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/dang/
> .  ..  DESCRIPTION  help  html  INDEX  Meta  NAMESPACE  R
> edd using rob:~/git/dang$
>

> Dirk
>

> --
> http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org

Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Department of Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling
Ghent University
Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Gent (Belgium)
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Coupure+links+653,%C2%A0B-9000+Gent,%C2%A0Belgium&entry=gmail&source=g>

Biowiskundedagen 2017-2018
http://www.biowiskundedagen.ugent.be/