[Rd] as.list method for by Objects

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Feb 1 10:21:19 CET 2018

    > I agree that it would make sense for the object to have c("by", "list") as
    > its class attribute, since the object is known to behave as a list.

Well, but that (list behavior) applies to most non-simple S3
classed objects, say "data.frame", say "lm" to start with real basic ones.

The later part of the discussion, seems more relevant to me.
Adding "list" to the class attribute seems as wrong to me as
e.g. adding "double" to "Date" or "POSIXct" (and many more such cases).

For the present case, we should stay with focusing on  is.list()
being true after as.list() .. the same we would do with
as.numeric() and is.numeric().

Martin