[Rd] Fixed BLAS tests for external BLAS library

Simon Guest sjg at cantab.net
Thu Jan 4 21:23:48 CET 2018

Hi Tomas,

Thanks for your reply.

I find your response curious, however.  Surely the identical() test is
simply incorrect when catering for possibly different BLAS
implementations?  Or is it the case that conformant BLAS implementations
all produce bit-identical results, which seems unlikely?  (Sorry, I am
unfamiliar with the BLAS spec.)  Although whatever the answer to this
theoretical question, the CentOS 7 external BLAS library evidently doesn't
produce bit-identical results.

If you don't agree that replacing identical() with all.equal() is clearly
the right thing to do, as demonstrated by the CentOS 7 external BLAS
library failing the test, then I think I will give up now trying to help
improve the R sources.  I simply can't justify to my client more time spent
on making this work, when we already have a local solution (which I hoped
others would be able to benefit from).  Ah well.

cheers,
Simon