[Rd] Fwd: R/MKL Intel 2018 Compatibility

Guillaume Collange gcollange at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 14:41:11 CET 2018

Dear all,

I would like to submit an issue that we are facing.

Indeed, in our environment, we are optimizing the R code to speed up some
mathematical calculations as matrix products using the INTEL libraries (
MKL) ( https://software.intel.com/en-us/mkl )

With the last version of the MKL libraries Intel 2018, we are facing to an
issue with *all INTERNAL command* that are executing in R. The R console is
freezing executing a process at 100% and never stop!!! It’s really an issue
for us.

As example, we can reproduce the error with *crossprod. Crossprod *which is
a wrapper of BLAS GEMM (optimized with MKL libraries), in this function it
seems that variables are not protected ( PROTECT(); UNPROTECT() ), see the
screenshot below, which is a recommendation for external commands:

Picture1

*RECOMMANDATION*

*Picture2*

*Code of CROSSPROD*

 Picture 3

If we are recoding the CROSSPROD function with PROTECTT

No more issues…

Do you have any idea to solve this bug? Any recommendations?

Thank you by advance for your help.

Best regards,

Guillaume Collange

--