[Rd] OpenBLAS in everyday R?

Avraham Adler avraham.adler at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 17:57:58 CET 2018

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 10:38 AM, Keith O'Hara <keith.ohara at nyu.edu> wrote:

[snip]

> Perhaps another point for Juan’s list: whether OpenBLAS is the right choice to pair with. The library itself hasn’t produced optimized kernels for any of the Intel *Lake chips yet; might be worth considering its near- and long-term future (vs something else).

Regarding this point, please see this thread on OpenBLAS-users [1], in
specific the third post by Jeff Hammond who says he is an employee of
Intel, where he says:

 "Skylake Xeon processors with AVX-512 are definitely going to require
code changes to perform optimally. However, the Core i[357] processors
up to and including Kaby Lake do not support AVX-512 and thus can
suffice with the existing AVX2 implementation that targets Haswell.
See https://ark.intel.com/#@Processors and look for "Instruction Set
Extensions" for full details on on specific SKUs."

I presume this holds for CoffeeLake as well, as it's pretty much a
hexacore SkyLake.

Thank you,

Avi

[1] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/openblas-users/XU6-9h-geVE/mwz2ewKrCQAJ