[Rd] Why R should never move to git

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 13:34:56 CET 2018

On 25/01/2018 7:03 AM, Iñaki Úcar wrote:
>> On 25/01/2018 2:57 AM, Iñaki Úcar wrote:
>>>
>>> For what it's worth, this is my workflow:
>>>
>>> 1. Get a fork.
>>> 2. From the master branch, create a new branch called fix-[something].
>>> 3. Put together the stuff there, commit, push and open a PR.
>>> 4. Checkout master and repeat from 2 to submit another patch.
>>>
>>> Sometimes, I forget the step of creating the new branch and I put my
>>> fix on top of the master branch, which complicates things a bit. But
>>> you can always rename your fork's master and pull it again from
>>> upstream.
>>>

>> I saw no way to follow your renaming suggestion.  Can you tell me the steps
>> it would take?  Remember, there's already a PR from the master branch on my
>> fork.  (This is for future reference; I already followed Gabor's more
>> complicated instructions and have solved the immediate problem.)
>
> Sorry for the confusion: the step of renaming your master branch isn't
> really needed, because you can pull the original master branch and
> call it whatever you want in one command. The process is as follows:

Thanks. I've tried some of this, and am a little confused.

> 1) Add the upstream repo as another remote:
>
> git remote add upstream https://github.com/the/original/repo
>
> 2) Pull the upstream master with a different name:
>
> git pull upstream master:patch2

I've done all that, and now on my local copy I have a branch.  I called
it "upstreamMaster", because at this point it matches the upstream
master, and I intend to maintain it that way.

> 3) Edit, add, commit and push patch2 to your fork:
>
> git checkout patch2
> git push origin patch2

I did this, except that the "..." contains nothing, because I want this
branch to continue.

But now my problem is that I can't see any way to tell Github about this
new branch.  I ran

git push origin upstreamMaster

and got

Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
To https://github.com/dmurdoch/manipulateWidget
  * [new branch]      upstreamMaster -> upstreamMaster

but that branch doesn't show up in the Github web site.

Any suggestions?

Duncan Murdoch