[Rd] Best practices in developing package: From a single file

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 01:55:07 CET 2018

On 30/01/2018 4:30 PM, Kenny Bell wrote:
> of a current user, I believe the issue he brings up is one of correlation
> rather than causation.

Could be.  However, I think editing comments in a .R file is a bit
harder than editing text in a .Rd file, so I think the format
discourages editing.  I think it does make it easier to pass R CMD check
the first time, but I don't think you should be satisfied with that.

What would probably change my mind would be a two-way (or multi-way)
tool:  it takes input in Roxygen comments or Rd files (or something
else), and produces another format.  Then I'd probably choose to write
the first pass in Roxygen, and convert to Rd for editing.  Other people
might go in the opposite direction.  Or someone might write a fancy
WYSIWYG editor for people who like that style of editing.

A couple of years ago I was hoping someone would figure out a way to
create help page input in R Markdown, but I think that's tricky because
of the lack of semantic markup there.  There *was* a project last year
to work on other input methods; I dropped out before it got very far,
and I don't know its current status.

> Writing my first piece of R documentation was made much easier by using
> roxygen2, and it shallowed the learning curve substantially.

I'm not completely up to date on Roxygen2 these days:  can you do some
pages in Rd, others in Roxygen?  That's not quite as good as being able
to switch back and forth, but it would allow you to start in Roxygen,
then gradually move to Rd when editing there was easier.

> What Duncan may be observing is a general tendency of roxygen2 users to
> write overly concise documentation. However, I believe this to be caused by
> an omitted variable - likely the tendency of roxygen2 users to want outputs
> quickly. I can't see anything in roxygen2 that might suggest a causal link
> but I'd be interested in hearing specific examples.

I don't know about that.  *Everyone* wants output quickly.

Duncan Murdoch