[Rd] Best practices in developing package: From a single file

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 02:09:52 CET 2018

On 30/01/2018 4:12 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Mehmet,
>
> That is a loaded topic, not unlikely other topics preoccupying us these days.
>
> There is package.skeleton() in base R as you already mentioned. It drove me
> bonkers that it creates packages which then fail R CMD check, so I wrote a
> wrapper package (pkgKitten) with another helper function (kitten()) which
> calls the base R helper and then cleans up it---but otherwise remains
> faithful to it.

Failing R CMD check isn't a big deal:  you want to be reminded to edit
those incomplete help files.  But I think I recall that you couldn't
even build the package that package.skeleton() created, and that indeed
would be irritating, especially if you had a lot of functions so you had
a lot of cleanup to do.  I don't know if that's still true because I
generally use RStudio to create the initial package structure rather
than calling package.skeleton myself.

Duncan Murdoch