[Rd] Best practices in developing package: From a single file

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Wed Jan 31 16:43:53 CET 2018

Similarly, I created this example a couple of years ago:
https://github.com/yihui/rlp which shows that you can create a package
from R Markdown documents (or any documents that knitr supports).
Basically you can start with an R Markdown document, and after
clicking a button in RStudio, you will get a full R package, with R
code, vignettes, and Rd (killing three birds with one stone). The
reason that you can get Rd is because of roxygen2.

I'm not interested in convincing Duncan of using roxygen (or
GIT/Github). It is fine that one loves or hates a tool. Just use tools
that make yourself comfortable. To me as a package developer, roxygen2
is indispensable (so are GIT/Github), and I use it in all my packages.
I had almost lost interest in developing R packages about 8 years ago
just because I found writing raw Rd extremely frustrating. Then
fortunately, roxygen was born, just in time.

Personally, it doesn't bother me if Duncan thinks roxygen-based
package documentations are typically of poor quality. I care a lot of
about documentation, and sometimes spend months after months on
documentation (Rd, vignettes, websites, and books). I'd very much like
to volunteer to have Duncan use any of my packages as examples of
"poor-quality roxygen-based documentation", and let's figure out why
they are poor (i.e., do we blame it on roxygen2 or myself?).

Regards,
Yihui
--
https://yihui.name